Welcome to Countryside School!
We hope you enjoy your virtual visit to this remarkable school, founded in 1992 and guided for the past twenty years by noted educator Cathie Webber, who retired in June 2014. Last year the school conducted a search for a new long-term head, and I am fortunate to be Cathie's successor.
One thing I noticed immediately, on first acquaintance with Countryside, was its brief, engaging mission statement: “Joy in Learning, Excellence in Education." To me this captures the essence of a great independent school. By browsing our site, you will get a glimpse of some of the ways this mission is fulfilled at Countryside, not only in the classroom, but also on the athletic field, on stage, on field trips, during after-school club time and service learning projects—anywhere our students come together for education or recreation.
Over its lifetime, the school has served hundreds of students from Champaign-Urbana and the surrounding communities. They have grown and developed within a fast-paced, challenging program and a warm, caring environment. Among the many benefits of a Countryside education, a student here will;
- develop character-building qualities that are stressed throughout the year
- become at ease with speaking, acting, and performing before a group
- learn to communicate in an open, honest, and respectful manner
- be encouraged to take risks, in a safe environment
- accept personal responsibility for actions and decisions
- appreciate differences between individuals and among cultures
- learn to manage time effectively
- absorb material and ideas and make them his or her own.
Head of School