We believe that students should be active now and throughout their lives.
To ensure this we focus on joy in learning, comfort in participation, and confidence in playing. We emphasize developing overall good health and teaching children how to work together as a team.
Our Physical Education program teaches sportsmanship and skill development as well as physical fitness including muscular strength and endurance, flexibility, and cardio-respiratory endurance. There are also opportunities to develop motor and locomotor skills that develop positive body image and confidence as well as participation in rhythmic activities that develop coordination, self-expression, creativity, and endurance. Our goal for each class is that every student is engaged and active in a controlled and safe environment as the children explore sports and activities that they can enjoy for life.
All students in 2nd-8th grade participate in Fitnessgram. This assessment includes a variety of health-related physical fitness tests that assess aerobic capacity, muscular strength, muscular endurance, and flexibility. Scores from these assessments are compared to Healthy Fitness Zone standards to determine students' overall physical fitness and suggest areas for improvement when appropriate.
Skills learned at each level include:
- Following rules and procedures
- Body awareness
- Cooperating with classmates
- Motor and locomotor skills
- Fulfilling the urge to play
- Body control
- Fundamental skills: throwing, catching, kicking, tossing, chasing, fleeing, dodging, and tagging
- Sportsmanship, respect, and cooperation
- Beginning team sports
- Advanced skills - sport specific
- Intermediate movement skills
- Sportsmanship and teamwork
- Beginning strategy and rules of sports
- Joy in competition with classmates
- Advanced skills united with advanced movement
- Leadership skills
- Health enhancing fitness
- Handling wins and losses
- Pursuit of lifelong sports or activities
- Teamwork and sportsmanship
- Team game strategy and sports knowledge
- Responsibility/Accountability for one's performance and effort