4th/5th Grade Highlights
4th and 5th grade at Countryside is a great time for students to continue to experience a love of learning and creativity, while developing organization skills, study habits, and life skills that can apply for years to come.
The Literature/Writing Workshop curriculum is organized into genre studies, in which students read, discuss, and synthesize information from mentor texts and then apply what they’ve learned to their own writing. Social studies and science classes integrate hands-on labs and simulations, while also giving students a firm background in note-taking, study skills, writing, and test-taking skills.
In math class, we challenge students to build on their prior conceptual understanding, explore new mathematical algorithms, and apply them to more complex problems.
Students continue to study either Spanish or Chinese and begin a two-year long study of Latin. They also are engaged in PE, music, visual art, and drama classes.
Within all subject areas, teachers encourage students to persevere through challenges and take risks, with an emphasis on the idea that good practice leads to increased skill and that mistakes help us to grow and learn.
"What amazes me is that it feels like we are playing every day but so many high level things are learned!"
- 4th grade teacher
Some highlights of 4/5:
- Hiking the trails and bonding as a class at Turkey Run in the fall
- Sharing an original skit (4th graders) or a monologue (5th graders) during our Living History performance
- Completing design challenges in science class
- Becoming a confident and accomplished communicator, both orally and in written form
- Developing increasing independence and taking on more personal responsibility